Re: branching for future fedora releases

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 11:11 -0500, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > What I meant was that we'd have the product/release branch and, at most,
> > one of the alpha/beta/rc branches open at any given time.
> >
> > Taking f13-branch as an example, I was thinking that f13-branch would
> > continually accept patches. Currently, we'd be applying patches to
> > f13-branch and only alpha blocker fixes to f13-alpha-branch. Once
> > f13-alpha ships, we're done with f13-alpha-branch -- it's now a snapshot
> > of the alpha for what that's worth. Once we decide to tighten up for the
> > beta, we'd make f13-beta-branch.
> >
> > Does that make things any clearer?
>
> Only marginally.

One thing that I never said explicitly is that it's hierarchical and
directional, so nothing ever hits a "lower" branch without hitting the
branch above it first. Every patch that goes on any branch must first go
onto master (where applicable). Without any exceptions, any patch that
goes onto fX-beta must first go onto fX-branch.

> How does master fit into this picture, and when do we create the
> f13-branch?  From your description above, it sounds like we'd be
> creating f13-branch very early on and doing development on that.

The master branch will continually accept patches.

I'm inclined to say we create the fX-branch at the same time the
packages cvs/git branches. Looking at the f13 schedule, we would want to
create fX-alpha immediately after that. Since we won't have a huge
backlog of patches waiting to hit fX-branch, we can create fX-beta off
of fX-branch as soon as fX-alpha is released.

Dave