Re: branching for future fedora releases

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 10:32 -0500, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > I like this idea, but I'm at least a little bit inclined to take it
> > further. Given the pile-up caused by rhel6-beta1 and now f13-alpha, I'm
> > wondering if we should also create a branch off of each product/release
> > (eg: f13, rhel6) branch for each of the lead-up releases (f13-alpha,
> > rhel6-beta1). We still put everything on master and cherry-pick to all
> > applicable product/release branches, but we also only cherry-pick
> > blocker-fixes onto the alpha/beta/rc branches.
> >
> > master
> >  |- f13-branch
> >  |   |- f13-alpha
> >  |   \- f13-beta
> >  \- rhel6-branch
> >      |- rhel6-beta1
> >      |- rhel6-beta2
> >      \- rhel6-rc1
> >
> > Yeah, it's a lot of branches, but only one alpha/beta/rc branch will
> > ever be active for a given product/release.
>
> It's a lot of branches, but we already have a lot of branches and git's
> supposed to make this easy, right?
>
> Do we really want only one branch active for a given product/release, or
> do we want to have the alpha and beta branches open at the same time so
> bugs marked as beta blockers can still be committed?  No, probably not -
> that'll only result in an enormous build immediately after the alpha
> goes out.  We might get that anyway but we probably don't want to codify
> the practice.

Anything that goes on f13-branch during f13-alpha development would be
beta-bound. The f13-beta-branch would be created when we start trying to
finalize the beta.

> What do we get out of having multiple branches for a given
> product/release, but only have one active at a given time?

What I meant was that we'd have the product/release branch and, at most,
one of the alpha/beta/rc branches open at any given time.

Taking f13-branch as an example, I was thinking that f13-branch would
continually accept patches. Currently, we'd be applying patches to
f13-branch and only alpha blocker fixes to f13-alpha-branch. Once
f13-alpha ships, we're done with f13-alpha-branch -- it's now a snapshot
of the alpha for what that's worth. Once we decide to tighten up for the
beta, we'd make f13-beta-branch.

Does that make things any clearer?

Dave