Re: [master] Prevent init from telling us its story if the shutdown was planned.

On 01/21/2010 04:33 PM, Ales Kozumplik wrote:
> On 01/21/2010 04:26 PM, Ales Kozumplik wrote:
>> dcantrell's recent change to the shutdown mechanism exposed a
>> situation when
>> shutdown is correctly handled but the init's exit handler still gets
>> called and
>> dumps its callstack, that's not desirable because (in case of an
>> exception in
>> python code for example) part of the useful information on the screen is
>> scrolled out of view.
>> ---
>
> Note that there still will be kernel panic displayed and the machine
> won't react on ctrl-alt-del (VMWare). An endless sleepy loop could be a
> way out perhaps?

Right, the loop is what used to be there. I kind of liked it but it
requires a separation of the two cases: loader returning with error vs.
s390 needing init to halt. If nobody has any real need for waiting at
this point any longer, we could alternatively call performReboot for all
cases of rebootAction, even for HALT.
(See also
https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2010-January/msg00317.html)

Considering that David's patch has caused at least two follow-up fixes
including one build break, I'd really like more people to look at the
problem so we can come up together with a less intrusive fix.

Steffen

Linux on System z Development

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen