Re: PATCH fix 510970, 529551, 530541

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 10:35 -0500, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > Thanks for also reviewing this, the second (third) pair of eyes is
> > appreciated. I do have one question though. The first patch of the
> > latest sets removes /boot/upgrade/install.img, which is a good thing
> > to do as that frees precious /boot place before starting the upgrade,
> > but if we do that why not just completely rm -fr /boot/upgrades ?

Think that could be done.

> preupgrade also puts the kickstart file, initrd, and kernel in
> /boot/upgrade.  We probably don't want to remove any of those until
> post-upgrade.

Everything there is in memory when anaconda runs.

> In fact now that I think about it, I'm not sure removing
> /boot/upgrade/install.img so early is great either.  Note that we will
> be removing it when the doBackendSetup step is called, which is before
> we do anything with packages.  If for some reason you run into a problem
> with package upgrades,

Then you have a problem yes, but is that an anaconda problem? You would
have to have some yum/rpm problem right? While file corruption is
possible, the only repo in use was created by preupgrade. Your dealing
with what amounts to a "custom repo", created with whatever repos are
enabled when preupgrade was run. I think it would be its job to ensure
that the upgrade would be successful.

> when you reboot, fix it, and reboot back into
> anaconda you will no longer have a stage2 image.  This will result in
> either anaconda downloading it again or you having to run preupgrade
> again.

Well, I think you should have to re-run preupgrade, think it was meant
to be a "one shot use" supporting offline upgrades. You have to re-run
it now to use Method 2 of the workarounds on the Wiki, to pickup the
change in the size of /boot. Of course you can just edit grub.conf and
use what you want there, if you remember to remove the install.img
from /boot/upgrade.

> Either way, you're downloading stuff you thought were already taken care
> of.

Fair enough, if your tight for space, preupgrade could now be using http
for install.img anyway. How about making the removal conditional on
if /boot is less than the current default size for /boot or available
space on /boot less than 50MB?

Thanks for the feedback,

Jerry