Re: [Fwd: Fedora 12 Installer Experience]

On 11/18/2009 05:23 PM, Peter Jones wrote:
On 11/18/2009 11:12 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
Hi,

On 11/18/2009 04:53 PM, Peter Jones wrote:
On 11/18/2009 06:04 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
Hi,

Jesse thanks for the forward, Jason thanks for the input,
see my comments below.

On 11/18/2009 05:28 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:
-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Jason D. Clinton<me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: fedora-desktop-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fedora 12 Installer Experience
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:21:07 -0600

Originally sent this to mccann for private review but jrb and halfline
asked that I send it here. I don't mean to offend anyone; mccann asked
that I document my experience -- I'm coming from Debian Sid/Exp. so I
don't have a horse the desktop race.
---

I'm writing this from my phone while I wait for the install to
finish. I
will send another mail documenting first boot experience.

The notes are with a newbie in-mind and only the notable hang-ups; the
experience is, overall, good.

Pre-install: no reason given for a media test and no time estimate
before agreeing.

Hmm, yes I had a question about this on #anacando too, maybe we should
let media check always default to off, this esp. seems to make sense
for the pressed (not burned) dvd's we are handing out at conferences.

We could then add a separate syslinux.cfg entry which passes in
the media check option, so that people who burn themselves can still
use this without needing to resort to the syslinux cmdline

AIUI, the problem with doing this (and there is a better way, but it has
the same issue) is that you're back to making two sets of ISO images -
one for ftp and one for "burned" releases.

I don't imagine rel-eng is real keen on going back to doing this.

Ah, but I'm not suggesting doing 2 different composes, just don't do
mediacheck by default at all, and have a separate entry in the syslinux
menu for mediacheck so people can still easily do it.

I'm really not okay with that.

some motivation for that would be helpful, also see my reply to clumens
concerns.

Regards,

Hans