Re: Installer device Filtering...

Hi,

On 07/07/2009 08:12 PM, David Lehman wrote:

<snip lots of good stuff I all agree with>

I'm not sure where setup of isci/fcoe/zfcp devices fits into this but,
given the matter of upgrades, it might be worth considering moving the
entire storage configuration process ahead of the install/upgrade
screen.

Make that iscsi/fcoe/zfcp/dasd (*), anyways all these devices need to
be setup by the user manually, iow when not specifically enabled they are not
seen, so no need to filter here, it would be a bit strange to first
add a disk to then filter it, this could happen though, when one
add storage action results in multiple LUN's the user may want to filter
some LUN's

The exception here is that we auto detect iscsi disks which are configured
in the machines firmware (ie BIOS setup), but these disks are usually
configured in the firmware because they are meant as local disks, so no
problem here. The same (firmware based detection) will be added in the future
for FCoE disks.

(*) Currently we only have the ability to add dasd disks from the special
s390 rc.sysinit, when talking about device filtering with the IBM s390 guys
at LinuxTag, it was mentioned that it would be nice (and consistent) to
also have the ability to bring online dasd disks from the "advanced storage"
/ add storagre button menu. Not saying that this is going to be done in time
for F-12, but this is something which was discussed.

Regards,

Hans