Re: RFC: proposal for handling isw dmraid -> mdraid upgrade path

On Wednesday, July 01 2009, Hans de Goede said:
> On 07/01/2009 12:09 AM, Jeremy Katz wrote:
>> I'm with Bill here.  We just need to suck it up and have people pay the
>> migration cost rather than us having to maintain (and test!) both paths
>> in perpetuity.
>
> Actually testing is an other reason why it would want to have this
> configurable, so that I and Joel and others with Intel hardware can still
> test the anaconda / dracut dmraid path.

But if most users are testing it with non-Intel hardware, then we need
to be doing the same.  Otherwise, quirks of the specific hardware format
could leak in and break things (or keep them working for you).  I don't
really see that as a solid reason

> Also I'm a bit confused now, when I proposed to just release note this
> you were not in favor because we had already inflicted enough pain on
> bios raid users in previous releases. Now I come up with a solution
> to make this work seamlessly, and then we just need to suck it up ??

I don't remember the explicit case you're referring to, but I expect
that I mostly was just lamenting the fact that "bios raid" has
continuously been a source of pain and that this is more.  Throwing
random config things which have to be twiddled into the boot path don't
really reduce the pain for the users (what do we set it to for the live
image, eg?) and it just increases the maintenance pain

Jeremy