Re: GRUB weirdness (readme please)

On Tuesday, April 07 2009, Hans de Goede said:
> I just spend (lost) way too much time on some grub weirdness,
> so I thought it would be a good idea to write it down somewhere.
[snip]
> Then I tried to setup grub manually (using a device.map
> for the dmraid BIOS mapping), but when I entered:
> grub> root (hd0,1)
> grub> setup (hd0)
>
> Grub complained it could fined neither of /grub/stage1
> and /boot/grub/stage1, where as ls clearly shows
> /boot/grub/stage1, it can be successfully cat-ed etc.
> Which explains why the setup failed, but why does grub
> not find stage1?

grub reads directly from the device rather than going through the fs
layer for this stuff.  I wonder if we're seeing similar problems due to
things not being fully written to disk at that point :/

> So now I tried to use p3, the 200 MB swap as /boot, grub now
> complained it used cylinders beyond the BIOS address limit.
> It seems the BIOS cannot address cylinders above circa 10240,
> do we sanity check our /boot (or /) for this ?

You shouldn't need to worry about that at this point.  But if it's
complaining, maybe try adding '--force-lba' to the install command line?
Maybe something with dmraid is confusing the built-in checking within
grub and so we do need to start forcing again in some cases

Jeremy