GRUB weirdness (readme please)

Hi all,

I just spend (lost) way too much time on some grub weirdness,
so I thought it would be a good idea to write it down somewhere.

I did a test install on a system with a 80 GB fakeraid set.
The fakeraid set had:
p1: 200 MB ext3 /boot
p2: 79GB PV

I removed the PV and created (slightly simplified):
p1: as it was
p2: 74GB ext3 / (also /boot)
p3: 200 MB swap
p4: 2200 MB swap

First it took me some time to figure out I was still
getting the grub from p1 (which initrd could no longer
find /), somehow the setup of the new grub (which lives
on p2) failed.

Then I tried to setup grub manually (using a device.map
for the dmraid BIOS mapping), but when I entered:
grub> root (hd0,1)
grub> setup (hd0)

Grub complained it could fined neither of /grub/stage1
and /boot/grub/stage1, where as ls clearly shows
/boot/grub/stage1, it can be successfully cat-ed etc.
Which explains why the setup failed, but why does grub
not find stage1?

So now I tried to use p3, the 200 MB swap as /boot, grub now
complained it used cylinders beyond the BIOS address limit.
It seems the BIOS cannot address cylinders above circa 10240,
do we sanity check our /boot (or /) for this ?

So I reformatted p1, copied all the stuff from p2 /boot there
and setup grub (that finally worked). Then when I rebooted
things worked, after some minutes I realized I had not updated
grub.conf, so grub as run from the BIOS was still referring
to p2 for vmlinuz and the initrd, and it worked.

So: grub run under Linux (the grub shell) cannot find stage1,
but run under the BIOS (so stage2) can find vmlinuz and initrd ????

Regards,

Hans