Re: [PATH] New iswmd parameter for kernel cmdline

On 04/03/2009 04:54 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
Jacek Danecki (Jacek.Danecki@xxxxxxxxx) said:
These patches add support for new iswmd parameter in kernel command
line. When this parameter is included in command line, isw raid array
will we activated by mdadm instead of dmraid. This is first set of
patches, next will be soon.

Maybe I'm not clear on the plan, but why have this triggered by a
commandline option - why not just switch the default to the preferred
method? It's not something like btrfs where it's a significant difference.

This actually was my suggestion, it is intended as a way to be able to test
using mdraid for isw, while making sure to not break it during F-11.

I meant to send a mail to installer-eng-list to propose doing things this way
but never got around to this.

Also changing the default method from dmraid to mdraid for isw is not as simple
as it sounds, because we are going to get into big troubles when doing
upgrades using mdraid in the installer, where as the old fstab refers
to dmraid device names. Atleast I expect problems, I might be wrong of course.

So changing the default will require some work. We need to be able to detect
what the system was using somehow, so that we can determine what to use on
upgrade, also the upgrade problem means that we need to be able to support
both methods in anaconda for quite some time to go, which is not necessarily
a big problem as we need to keep dmraid around for nvidia, via and others
anyways. Or we could try converting stuff from dmraid to mdraid on upgrade
which will be, well, exciting.

Regards,

Hans