Re: Native Anaconda Support for Installs via USB Flash Stick

> >  So, I created a kickstart with no "install" line, and an include directive
> > for the "repo file" I set up in my %pre script. . .  No dice.  Anaconda
> > (from the loader) is throwing up the "Installation Method" dialog, asking me
> > to choose my media type.  Is there a way around this?  Otherwise, it looks
> > like Jeremy Katz's excellent but time consuming suggestion of making things
> > use UUIDs is going to have to be the way to go.  By the way, Jeremy, thanks
> > for that suggestion.
>
> Do you have an install method command?  That's one of cdrom, url, nfs,
> or hd.  anaconda needs to know where to find the installation media and
> the second stage of the installer, and this command tells it where to
> find those things.  This can't be in an %include file, either.
>
> - Chris

Chris,
  That does make sense.  I asked about that earlier when David recommended
that I use the %include directive and a %pre script to set up the --repo
line. (I'll include an excerpt of the thread here)

> > > David,
> >    Thanks for the quick reply!  This sounds like it is worth pursuing.   The
> > only issue I see here is what to put as the option for the ?install? command
> > in the kickstart.  Obviously, I can?t use the ?cdrom? directive that we
> > usually use, and when the kickstart is being written, we won?t know what the
> > parameters to the harddrive directive would be.  The documentation seems to
> > say that the install command is optional anyway.  Should I just skip the
> > command entirely and just depend upon the repo that we?ll set up in the %pre
> > script?
>
> Yes, 'install' is an optional command.  The counterpart to 'install'
> would be 'upgrade'.  By default, anaconda is going to perform an
> install, which is what you want.  So you don't need to specify an
> additional keyword.
>
> Just find the yum repository on your USB media, write out the correct
> repo line in the %pre script, and make sure you have a %include line to
> include the file you're writing out in %pre.
>
> --
> David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Red Hat / Honolulu, HI

  The way I read David's reply, it seems he was stating that as long as I
had the repo line %included, Anaconda would be happy.  Apparently, that's
not the case.

  So, since I don't know, at the time I'm creating the kickstart file, what
device the flash drive will be, I don't think I can properly create a method
directive.  Do you see any way around that?

  This leaves the two options of making Anaconda honor drive labels/UUIDs,
or creating a "flash" install method (or whatever).  Neither of which will
be as easy as this was looking like it would be.

   Chris, Jeremy, David (and anybody else who cares to comment), does
anybody see any alternatives?  Which of those methods seems the better
choice to you guys?

    Thanks again, everybody, for your help with this.  Hopefully I can
return the favor sometime.

--Jason

--
Jason C. Maestri
Senior Software Engineer

http://www.soleranetworks.com

The information in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy this message, delete any copies held on your systems and notify the sender immediately.  You should not retain copy or use this e-mail for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of its content to any other person.