Re: Mirror RAID convert ...

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:15:38 +0200,
  Clinton Lee Taylor <clintonlee.taylor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I will admit, I have not studied the on-disk format of ext2/3/4 or
> RAID1, the last time I did this, was in the good old days of DOS and
> FAT12/16 ... We really looking for only one case, RAID1, I don't see a
> need for anything else, in this topic's reguard ... Does RAID1 require
> twice as many superblocks as a standard ext3 partition?  That is if we
> are talking about making a dirty conversion problem ...

If you are just worried about raid 1, I would recommend not supporting
degraded arrays, but rather allow raid 1 arrays with only 1 element.
This will be safer and doing the prep work isn't too hard.

The raid arrays are independent of file system you put on top of it, except
for the partition grub accesses. For that one you need the raid metadata
to be at the end (which is normal) so that grub can ignore the raid aspect.

All that really needs to be done is to reduce the minimum number of elements
for raid 1 arrays to 1 instead of 2 and to use the --force option when
creating a new one element array.

I have done this for earlier versions of anaconda and its not too hard.
There are some patches showing how in a closed bug. Though with the recent
overhaul going on with how anaconda handles devices, they may not apply
too cleanly any more.