Re: working on text mode

On Tuesday, 27 בJanuary 2009, David Cantrell wrote:
> Oron Peled wrote:
> >  * A small/old-hardware server without enough RAM.
> >    In both cases X or vnc install was not possible,
> How is VNC not an option here?  I assume you have another system at your
> disposal aside from the one you are setting up.  And if you are setting
> up a server, I assume it also has a network interface.  So again, how is
> VNC not an option?

It is about small hosts with little RAM. If it can't run
an Xserver, would it be able running VNC server? (which is actually
a modified Xserver).

BTW, there are some modern hosts that don't have a lot of RAM (because
they are not for desktop use). E.g: I consider to replace my
aging firewall (old celeron machine) with http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm
(no-fan, less power, small) or similar.

> > One last note about the difficulty of squeezing LVM definitions into
> > a text UI. This looks hard if we assume everything should be put
> > into the same dialog box. If we split it to steps (VG's, PV's for each VG,
> > LV's for each VG), it should be easy (not the code, the UI design ;-)
>
> The UI design isn't that easy for partitioning.  It's already very
> difficult in graphical installer.  Our current interface starts to break
> down and become useless when you have hundreds or thousands of disks.  I
> don't want to imagine what that would be like in text mode.

Do you actually install on so many disks? Or are they used as an added
storage? In the later case, why should they be managed by the installer?
[or does the disk selector list look horrible?]

> we don't want to do:
>
> 1) Created an entirely different user interface.  Not just newt over
> gtk, but different screens and text.

Agreed.

> 2) Limited what you can do in text mode, so what's the point in the
> first place?

Text mode is useful. The real question is what functionality should
exist in text mode install *without* having the big double maintenance
problem you pointed about.

It's hard to implement all new features so they'll function
transparently in text-mode. Therefore, my suggestion was to
concentrate in the aspects that *cannot* be fixed after the install.

One such thorny problem is the partitioning and disk management.
While I don't have a clear solution for this, the current partitioning UI
isn't optimal:
 - LVM (and later RAID) were an addition to existing DiskDruid and it
   shows in the UI design.
 - As you say, it's not easy to manage many disks (linear scrollbar
   without incremental search/narrowing).
 - Hard to cleanly represent in text mode.
 - A special case code. Not used in day-to-day disk management. This is
   bad, as daily used code is tested in a lot more cases.
 - And than there's system-config-lvm which is nice in some ways, but
   is another special case (LVM, nothing more, nothing less).

So maybe the issue isn't really anaconda support for text-mode, but rather
the need for new disk-management UI for both day-to-day and anaconda?
For F12?

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
oron@xxxxxxxxxxxx                  http://www.actcom.co.il/~oron