Re: Adding reviewing to our development process

Chris Lumens wrote:
As I've been slowly getting into anaconda development I've become increasingly amazed with the number of regressions we have caused by typos and other small predictable errors in day to day development work.

So I've been thinking that we really need to change our processes to include a review phase for all patches except the most trivial ones (the ones fixing all the typos).

Two things:

(1) We already have the commit mails, which we theoretically could all
be reading and finding problems in.  Yet, I don't see a lot of followup
comments in IRC regarding typos.  Jeremy has some from time to time, and
I do too but very rarely.  I wonder how effective it's really going to
be.

It has to be compulsory.

(2) If we go down this road, we need to make sure it's not mandatory.
That is, I still need to be able to commit emergency things to do a
build right now without having to wait for other people to comment.
That's just the nature of anaconda development from time to time.

Every software project needs a process in place for emergency fixes, but they cannot be applied to the main code base until approved.

In the early 80s, I worked for SPL (Australia) Pty Limited, and I was flown from Canberra to Melbourne to fix a problem with software we supplied to Dulux Australia (a paint manufacturer).

I found the problem and a fix (and they were very happy)[1], but the fix was not the fix that to software supplier (Software AG) incorporated into the code.

[1] The Boss was happy too.

Don't look to avoid the code review, just accept that it's necessary and find a way to work with it. Maybe a branch of the project for each occasion?

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait