Re: Can the install method be contained within a kickstart file that is referenced via a %include option

Hello Matt,

Matthew Richards wrote:
I suppose that having a Stage0 solution would indeed be more elegant
than an updates.img solution. I'm guessing that you would not have to
rebuild a Stage0 image very often but would have to re-generate an
updates.img patch any time you moved to a new version of Anaconda.

It's not that elegant, just working around limitations of anaconda.

I'm curious about this "some kind of detection with two ks.cfgs" that
you refer to. It sounds like you are implying that this is done via a
custom patch to Anaconda? I can't help wondering if Anaconda is
flexible enough to allow this sort of thing without a custom patch
by, say, placing 2 ks= options in the bootloader config - but that
would probably result in either an error or only one of the ks.cfg
files being parsed . . . sorry, just thinking as I type.

The patch in Bugzilla (#) exactly does make this possible. With this
patch, a ks= option allows more than one ks.cfg. However, it's just
an other workaround for missing functionality. I still don't know what the best way would be to implement this correctly in anaconda/kickstart.

It is a bit of a challenge to guess what you are getting at with my
limited Linux app development knowledge, but I imagine you are
proposing to:

(1) Build a new initrd.img containing only the resources needed for
your basic environment and the tasks that you need to perform ( I
have little idea what this would contain but I suppose I could find
out from Anaconda-Init source and its dependencies, or from LSB, or
from Linux From Scratch or something similar).

These are not the references I would suggest. It's probably far more easy to look into a standard /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img. They are now in cpio.gz format, extract it like:
	mkdir /tmp/my-initrd
	cd /tmp/my-initrd
	gunzip /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img | cpio -id

The script init is the starting point and can be extended/replaced. It might be adviseable to include a busybox or something like it ;)

(2) Write a new Stage0-Anaconda-Init based on Stage1 Anaconda-Init,
that will run your tasks and then finish by loading Stage1 initrd.img
and running /sbin/loader?

No, don't write a stage0-anaconda-init. It is more like "stage0 bootstraps anaconda". In the init you would do a minimal setup of the system (like a standard initrd.img) and some extras:

* detect the install target (search for /dev/sda,sdb,...)
* detect the install source (search for/dev/sda,sdb,http,nfs,...)
* create a tmp-directory
* extract the original initrd.img which includes the loader
* sed ks.cfg and save it in the same tmp-directory
* exec chroot tmp-directory /bin/loader

Note that the loader parses /proc/cmdline, therefore you can set ks=file:///tmp/ks.cfg as boot option.

How's that for a guess?

Close, but don't think too complicated. Only try to do the minimal things needed. Everything what the proposed stage0 does can easily be written in shell-scripts.

Good luck,
Niels

--
WINCOR NIXDORF International GmbH Sitz der Gesellschaft: Paderborn Registergericht Paderborn HRB 3507
Geschäftsführer: Eckard Heidloff (Vorsitzender), Stefan Auerbach, Dr. Jürgen Wunram

Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese E-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser E-Mail ist nicht gestattet.

This e-mail may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.