Re: Network installs

On Aug 7, 2008, at 3:37 AM, Arthur Rodrigo Sawazachi Valadares wrote:

Hello again,

First I would like to include new information to this topic. Yesterday I
installed using a local NFS server and the process that before took
nearly 2 hours, now took 30 seconds! So it is now obvious that the
problem we have is bandwidth. Nevertheless I still think this issue
should be fixed, we should not depend that the user is installing from a
fast local network.

I have been trying to understand anaconda source code but it has been
pretty complicated to follow the logical workflow, so please bear with
me if I have understood something wrong.

Apparently the place I have to work in to get the window "Install
Starting" (issue mentioned in my previous e-mails) to display a progress
bar is in the class DownloadHeaderProgress (I found the string of the
window in it). Looking at the class below it on the code, I found the
screen that comes before this one, the dependency check window. And now comes my question, the depency check (class YumDepSolveProgress) calls:

window = intf.progressWindow(_("Dependency Check"),
                                    _("Checking dependencies in
packages selected for installation..."),
                                    1.0, 0.01)

And DownloadHeaderProgress calls:

window = intf.progressWindow(_("Install Starting"),
                                    _("Starting install process.  This
may take several minutes..."),
                                    1.0, 0.01)

I went over to gui.py and text.py and looked at the progressWindow
method (that starts a ProgressWindow object), and apparently this class
was supposed to be a progress window (wow, I know :) ). Looking at the
similarities between YumDepSolveProgress and DownloadHeaderProgress, I
would expect that both of them would have progress bars (or so it was
what the developer MEANT to do). But in the end, just the dependency
check has a progress bar, the "Install Starting" window does not.

Is it supposed to be like this? Did I understood something wrong? I'm
still trying to understand the class ProgressWindow, if I'm right,
that's where I'll find the problem, but it has some classes that I don't
where it comes from (like TextboxReflowed and GridForm).

I've had an open bug for a while to add a progress bar for HTTP or FTP stage2.img fetching. The static message just leads people to think the system has stalled if they have a very slow link.

It is not something I have forgotten about, but it's getting low priority. In the interim, I may add some text to indicate that the operation will take some time and is entirely dependent on your link speed.

Bug number is 112259.  Feel free to add yourself to the CC list.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI