Re: Network installs

Arthur Rodrigo Sawazachi Valadares wrote:
On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 09:36 +0200, Joel Andres Granados wrote:
Hi Arthur

How much ram does this machine have? Was there a swap image in the installation?  either created or already existing?
How many packages were installed?  I have found that doing big installations (lots of packages) with little memory or no swap or both takes very long.

Regards

Hi Joel, the machine has 2 GB of RAM and 2 GB of swap created by

Wow, thats a good machine.  This should not be happening at all.  My regular tests are with machines that have 512 of ram and swap of 1G.  Additionally they are all virtual machines.  Of course all my tests are done with a minimal install.  How many packages are you installing?  It would be nice to know the number after the dependency thing has been done.  You could list some 400, but the real package number is somewhat different.

anaconda.
Apparently this really is usual, since some friends told me it usually
takes that long. Apparently it is yum that is taking this long and I
think it will be hard to make it more efficient. But I think we could
show a progress bar in this part (packages processed / packages to be
processed) to show the system is still running.
Alexander's e-mail:
It might be possible to take that long. At this stage yum is resolving
dependencies (i think) or running rpm transaction before actual package
installation starts. I've seen similar behavior on ia64 in the past. IIRC there
was something about yum and memory which was causing it to run slowly. Try RHEL
5.2 or another architecture (32bit if possible) with the same package set and
partitioning to see if there's change in the speed. Also try Fedora 9 which has
newer version of yum.

- --
Alexander.

Hi Alexander,

I used the "software development" default set of packages. After I sent
this e-mail I used VNC on the power machine to have a working console to
check logs. anaconda.log kept reporting lines like these:

14:27:38 DEBUG   : Adding Package sound-juicer - 2.16.0-3.el5.ppc in
mode u
14:27:38 DEBUG   : Member: sqlite.ppc 0-3.3.6-2 - u
14:27:42 DEBUG   : Adding Package sqlite - 3.3.6-2.ppc in mode u
14:27:42 DEBUG   : Member: audit-libs.ppc64 0-1.6.5-9.el5 - u

For a bunch of packages, so it is in fact yum that is taking this long.
For each Adding Package and Member, it took about 1-2 seconds, which is
very long for a lot of packages. I believe there is already people
working on this performance issue on the yum side, but I think that on
the anaconda side, as I mentioned above, we could make it clear to the
user that although it takes long, it eventually finishes =)

I don't have access to a RHEL 5.2, but I'll see if I can get one to see
if anything has changed. About the 32 bit and Fedora, I'm working on a specifically on power pcs
now, but if I develop a solution for it, I'll check if it is necessary
on X 32 and 64 machines as well..

Thanks to both of you for quick replies =)

Joel Andres Granados
Red Hat / Brno, Czech Republic