Re: Reipl support

David Cantrell wrote:
> On Jul 22, 2008, at 11:55 AM, Jeremy Katz wrote:
>>> I think some of this falls back on s390 using linuxrc.s390 rather than
>>> init like the other platforms.  If that could be changed (eventually),
>>> I think we'd be in better shape.  Right now, the linuxrc case on s390
>>> means a lot of special handling for that platform.

IMHO reboot vs. shutdown is not related to linuxrc.s390 vs. init.

>> Yeah, but that shouldn't require some magic new /var/run/sigusr stuff...
>
> There's got to be a better way to do this.  I mean, it's stage 2 "ipc"
> to loader so loader knows whether to send SIGUSR1 or SIGUSR2 to init so
> it can do a shutdown or reboot.  All of this is automatic, but sloppy.
>
> Mark, can we just always reboot in linuxrc.s390 and skip the logic to
> figure out if we should reboot or shutdown?  This does bring s390 closer
> to behavior we see on other platforms.  Reboot after installation.  If
> reipl sets things up correctly, it should reboot in to the installed
> system.  If, for whatever reason, it failed, we get a failure on boot,
> but the system is still shut down.

Problem here is, that the system won't fail on boot but rather reboot
from the previous boot device, which brings up the installer again.
Hence, the system won't be shut down. Therefore, we have to do it
explicitly on a case by case basis.

>>> The reipl tool failing isn't really a doomed case.  If it fails, it's
>>> worth noting it somewhere (so we might have some hope of
>>> debugging...maybe) and continuing.  If we can't reipl automatically,
>>> we should just shutdown and expect the console operator to load the
>>> magic stack of cards to get it going again.

Exactly.

> Device name renaming too could affect this.

Interesting new point. Could you please give some example scenario,
because I don't fully understand yet?

Steffen Maier

Linux on System z Development
Scho"naicher Stra?e 220
D-71032 Bo"blingen

e-Mail: maier@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone:  +49-(0)7031-16-2354
Fax:    +49-(0)7031-16-3456

Internal address: Kst. 3282, 71032-06-022

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Gescha"ftsfu"hrung: Herbert Kircher
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bo"blingen