Re: Reipl support

On Jul 22, 2008, at 11:55 AM, Jeremy Katz wrote:

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 11:49 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
On Jul 22, 2008, at 10:48 AM, Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 09:26 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
4) I would wrap the open/write/close to /var/run/sigusr in a try-
except block since that could fail. Also, I suggest using fp.write()
to write lines to a file rather than print.  Two reasons.  First is
consistency with the rest of the anaconda code.  Second is that the
print statement will go away in Python 3000 and the fewer of those we
have to rewrite in the future, the better.

Also, it's not entirely clear to me why this is really needed.  What
would lead to setting the reipl failing? The cases that I see are all cases where the answer is "doomed" and so we might as well just always do the reboot. And that then makes things always act the same rather
than adding yet another bogon weird code path for s390

I think some of this falls back on s390 using linuxrc.s390 rather than init like the other platforms. If that could be changed (eventually),
I think we'd be in better shape.  Right now, the linuxrc case on s390
means a lot of special handling for that platform.

Yeah, but that shouldn't require some magic new /var/run/sigusr stuff...

There's got to be a better way to do this. I mean, it's stage 2 "ipc" to loader so loader knows whether to send SIGUSR1 or SIGUSR2 to init so it can do a shutdown or reboot. All of this is automatic, but sloppy.

Mark, can we just always reboot in linuxrc.s390 and skip the logic to figure out if we should reboot or shutdown? This does bring s390 closer to behavior we see on other platforms. Reboot after installation. If reipl sets things up correctly, it should reboot in to the installed system. If, for whatever reason, it failed, we get a failure on boot, but the system is still shut down.

The reipl tool failing isn't really a doomed case.  If it fails, it's
worth noting it somewhere (so we might have some hope of
debugging...maybe) and continuing.  If we can't reipl automatically,
we should just shutdown and expect the console operator to load the
magic stack of cards to get it going again.

Instead this is the case. But really, *WHY* would the reipl tool fail? Because if it's the bogon case of weirdness, then it's no different than grub failing to install[1] in which case we should just reboot and when
they see that they booted back into the installer rather than the
installed system, the thought process goes "oh, whoops".

Jeremy

[1] Arguably, we should catch that case as well as this case and let the
user know with a dialog saying so.  But I'm pretty certain that the
right answer isn't to just behind the covers decide whether to do a
reboot vs a halt

Why would it fail? That I don't know because I don't know enough about the reipl capability on s390 via sysfs. However, all it really does is take values from one part of sysfs and writes them to another part of sysfs. Should sysfs presentation for this information change, I could see reipl failing. Device name renaming too could affect this.

But you are right, the less we present and the more it does in the background, the better. I would like anaconda (or booty or whatever) to set up the reipl bits on the system and we just always reboot on s390.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI