Re: anaconda installing packages out of order (RHEL5.2)

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 04:15:36PM -0000, Moray Henderson (ICT) wrote:
> I've been running into that problem too.  I think Anaconda re-orders
> the packages as it works out dependencies, so (as far as I can tell)
> you can't rely on pkgorder or comps.xml to give the final install
> order.  (If I'm wrong about that, I would be very grateful if someone
> would tell me how to do it.)
>
> The key to the solution is the difference between the rpm directives "Requires" and "PreReq" in the .spec files.

Indeed, this is a useful (ableit unexpected) distinction; using PreReq
instead of Requires (in my case) does yield the desired results.

Thanks for the feedback!

> "Requires: x" means "this package requires the x package in order to _run_".  If both packages appear in the same rpm transaction, the transaction will succeed _but x may not be installed first_.
>
> "PreReq: x" means "this package requires x to be present _before it will install properly_".  In this case, if both packages appear in the same transaction, rpm will ensure that x is installed first.

I'm kind of surpised the wad of magical dependancy determination in the RPM
packaging did not infer the dependancies of pre- and post-install scripts.
But, not very surpised...

--
Brian Reichert				<reichert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
55 Crystal Ave. #286			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842