Re: loader/stage2 interaction

Jeremy Katz wrote:

I might still like to pre-populate the URL box in loader with the
mirrorlist, but I haven't thought about how to do that without
hardcoding values.

Isn't the hope, though, that the only time[1] you get a prompt in the
loader is if you pxe boot (and thus don't have stage2 available).  If
stage2 is available, we don't need to prompt about repos until we're in
the second stage at which point the mirrorlist stuff becomes a lot
easier

I think that, with the cooperation of the user's network admin in configuring the dhcp server, the prompt can be avoided.

Read the description of VENDOR ENCAPSULATED OPTIONS in dhcp-options(5). I'm looking at the version supplied in RHEL4/WBEL4.

Vendors (eg Red Hat, Fedora, Debian etc) can specify their own options. In dhcpd.conf it might go:
option space anaconda;
option anaconda.stage2 1 = text;
option anaconda.ks 2 = text;

..

class "anaconda" {
 match if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 8) = "anaconda";
 option vendor-class-identifier "anaconda";
 option anaconda.ks "http://fantom.example.com/cgi-bin/ks";;
 option.anaconda.stage2 "ftp.redhat.com/example/stage2.img";
}

Note, RH should urge _strongly_ that, in using anaconda for their own derived distros, they should specify a different vendor-class-identifier.

anaconda already sets vendor-class-identifier appropriately. It only needs to request, and use, some more information when configuring the network.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait