Re: RFC: Don't label filesystems

Eric Sandeen wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:
Jesse Keating wrote:
On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 11:21 -0400, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
But it's not "user friendly" in that it has no meaning that the user can
associate to the contents.
Thinking that "/dev/sda1" or "LABEL=/root" has any real meaning is just
false anyway.  It sometimes works, just by happy accident.  But if
you're mixing machines or cloning things it'll go wrong.
It used to be that /dev/hda1 and /dev/sda1 had defined meanings. IMV moving away from that was a mistake.

I really don't think that was ever true.  If it stopped being true it
was because more interesting hardware appeared, not so much a coding
decision.

assuming that there is one fixed drive in the system which will always
be found first is a mistake, IMHO.

Which of these kernels have you used?
2.0
2.2
2.4
2.6

2.0 recognised two drives.

Until the advent of the sata drivers taking over ata drives as well, hda referred to the master drive on the primary IDE interface.

When I used SCSI devices (rarely, but I did have one system with on-board SCSI and two SCSI drives), /dev/sd[ab] were the first and second devices on my SCSI controller. Things, might have become more exciting with more than one SCSI controller, but by then you've getting to enterprise users.

I recall some discussion years ago regarding larger SCSI devices, about problems recognising drives.

The use of UUIDs might help there, but I don't see any merit in inflicting that solution on the 90%+ users who don't have it. Enterprise people might have the technical background to adjust to it, but almost nobody on (eg) fedora-list does.

We who generally can attach four disks (USB, firewire aside) don't have a problem knowing which drive is which: it's it is _the_ drive, or we plugged in another and know which is which, or we can pop the top off and have a look.

no... 4 disks?  that's a very limited worldview.  :)

It's also 90% or more of physical intellish computers around. Most computers are not rack-mount and have provision for up to four disks, optical included.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait