Re: RFC: Don't label filesystems

Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 07:25 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
Jesse Keating wrote:
On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 11:21 -0400, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
But it's not "user friendly" in that it has no meaning that the user can
associate to the contents.
Thinking that "/dev/sda1" or "LABEL=/root" has any real meaning is just
false anyway.  It sometimes works, just by happy accident.  But if
you're mixing machines or cloning things it'll go wrong.
It used to be that /dev/hda1 and /dev/sda1 had defined meanings. IMV moving away from that was a mistake.

Good luck convincing kernel folks of that :-)

Not a lot of chance of that, I agree, but if someone who talks to them and to more ordinary users is persuaded then the prospects of a better solution improve.

We who generally can attach four disks (USB, firewire aside) don't have a problem knowing which drive is which: it's it is _the_ drive, or we plugged in another and know which is which, or we can pop the top off and have a look.

Most hardware has supported more than four internal disks for many years
now.  Multiple controllers were pretty common at which point guessing
which is the "first" isn't just a matter of popping the top off and

It seems to work pretty well when I plugged an extra card into my Pentium II and booted a late 2.3 kernel. Or it might have been a 2.4.0test kernel. The existing drives continued with their old names, and the new ones came up at /dev/hd[e-h].

taking a look.  With SATA, this is taken even further as the whole
concept of master and slaves is gone and you can just have chains of
drives.

In my HP desktop, these come up as sata0, sata1 and sata2 and to the best of my knowledge that association is fixed.

On earlier machines the ATA and SATA interfaces are recognised separately.

I would expect that a synchronous enumeration of the devices on the motherboard PCI devices would yield consistent results.

Recognising a drive by its attachment should be consistent, and predictable by moderately-skilled users.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait