DNS in stage1

I'm having trouble with DNS during stage1.  loader can use DNS just fine - but my test program that I want running alongside loader can't (it gets EAI_NODATA from getaddrinfo).  I think it might have something to do with the "just so you know, since you're statically linking and using getaddrinfo, you'll still need the libraries you're building with present when you actually run this" warnings I get when I build my program (or even ping, which also fails in the same way while loader succeeds).

So I tried to build loader and see if it got those warnings, but I can't figure out how to build a static loader without tweaking the makefiles myself (I'm sure there's a more kosher way since it's meant to be built statically).

Anyone have any insight?

My code that doesn't work with DNS is called when loader tries to grab the kickstart file (it's a proxy, so I have ks=http://127.0.0.1:8080/foo/ks.cfg, and my code attempts to resolve some DNS when the client connects) so I know that the network is up at that point.

Thanks!
Andrew Lusk