Re: CD and DVD ISO images

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:
Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:
There exists a problem for those who want both CD and DVD-sized images. I've just done a census of the computers around here, and there's a few that have CD drives, not DVD.

Can you try and explain to me how this is efficient given the ambition to release DVD ISO images and CD ISO images for Fedora 9?

DVD images about 3.5 Gbytes?
therefore CD images about 3.5 Gbytes

My plan
CD images imbedded in DVD images about 3.5 Gbytes
Saving
About 3.5 Gbytes

So, you would want the DVD holding the CD ISO images to replace both the DVD ISO image and the CD ISO images? That is going to be very nasty in terms of distribution as one would need a double loop mount for each CD

Is that difficult? I'd not have thought so. I'm sure I've nested loop mounts before.

ISO image to be able to use the installation media as a resource for additional package installation, not to mention the inability of Jigdo to cope with this -which at this point is just a Release Feature I'm the owner of.

I am sure that when I learned to use jigdo some years ago, that it didn't actually care how the file's structured, and that it actually works with tarballs. See http://atterer.net/jigdo/

That said, when the component files are around 650-700 Mbytes, I do see a problem, a complication.

I see three alternatives:
1. A wrapper that extracts the imbedded ISOs so that they can be rebuilt individually, then the DVD 2. DVD images are distributed only through .jigdo, and a wrapper script be provided to build the CD ISOs and then the DVD ISOs. 3. Modify jigdo to look for a new .jigdo in the same location when it finds an imbedded .iso. users who tell jigdo to download the .jigdo might not notice anything changed.

Richard Atterer might be interested on working with you on this; surely Debian has the same problem.

Having another DVD just containing the CD ISO images doesn't really make sense to me.

I didn't say "Another DVD." The DVD image containing CD images would be installable.

The InstallMethod for CDROM would become more like installing from hard disk.

The first CDROM though would need to contain another set of metadata which makes opening up the actual repository a pain in the ass -you have mediaid's there, again.

I don't understand.

Say we built a slightly-modified boot.iso.
Say this boot.iso contains all that's needed to install Fedora/RHEL/whatever. Just not the repos.
Say it has a root directory, /images.
Say this directory _might_ have a collection of ISOs.
If this directory has a collection of .ISOs, then it offers the user the possibility of installing from it. If the collection is incomplete, then it allows changing media during the install process, as it does now for CD installations.

I can think of variations, and this might not be the best, but I can imagine it working, though it would require a small change to the current procedure for installing from CD: boot boot.iso, eject, insert CD1.

As an aside, it might also offer the ability to eject the boot.iso and burn the imbedded ISOs.

Also, I'm confused what is the real purpose. The DVD ISO image you can loop mount and publish via HTTP/FTP, or use off an NFS share to install

I had some difficulty doing that, those media URLs break things. There was some discussion here or on fedora users or test about it, and the best I could find was to run createrepo above the mount point.

I see the point here and I agree, but in my opinion this is a pungi bug, as it used to run splitrepo even though the media consisted of a single disc. As far as I can tell this has been solved in the Fedora 9 pungi, which would make this a moot point.

The whole thing's at the moot stage:-)[1]

[1] Originally, (Anglo-saxon Britain), a moot was a council of elders/community leaders.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait