Re: Let's talk about some F9 (and beyond) features for anaconda

On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 11:15 +0100, Alexander Todorov wrote:
> better late than never, here it goes:
> feat: Configure yum .repo file based on installation source.

The first step of doing this is actually done in Fedora 9 where we set
up the InstallMedia repo for DVD installs based on the file in the tree.

Doing it more in general is difficult, though, as some of the install
repos supported by anaconda aren't really supported by yum.  eg, for
NFS, you have to have it mounted because yum doesn't have any way of
mounting an NFS repo (and probably shouldn't.  although maybe it could)
and NFSISO is definitely a bit of a non-starter.

Even for FTP/HTTP there are complications, though.  If you point at a
repo, what happens to the other repos which are configured as "stock".
If you're pointing at your local mirror, then it's kind of crummy to be
downloading metadata both from your local mirror and the upstream copy.
But, eg, if it's just a Fedora mirror, then you still want to have the
Everything tree configured.

> Q: Is there a substantial difference in handling http unified and split
> trees ?

HTTP split trees are (finally, at last, hooray!) dead

Jeremy