Re: Anaconda, the /etc/rpm/platform file and instalation media arch.

On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 15:59 +0200, Martin Sivak wrote:
> have you ever notice, that we write ia32e-redhat-linux when installing
> from x86_64 media on Intel processor? Is that really the right behaviour?

Yes.  ia32e is the rpm arch for the Intel x86_64 processors.  And you
can conceivably optimize code specifically for them as opposed to
general x86_64.

> I'm asking because of the "upgrade distro architecture" situation, when
> somebody uses x86_64 media with "Welcome to Fedora for x86_64" and then
> I present him with "You're about to upgrade from i686 to ia32e" kind of
> dialog, he is surely going to be confused.
>
> So the question is:
> Where exactly comes the architecture from /etc/rpm/platform in the
> game and why are we using the platform string from uname and not
> from the /.buildinfo from the instalation tree?

See rhpl.arch.getCanonArch().  We use this because it allows us to
distinguish things that uname doesn't such as ppc64 vs ppc64pseries vs
ppc64iseries and ia32e vs AMD64.

> I can of course use whatever feels more right for the dialog (so the
> /.buildinfo one to be consistent) and write the 'uname' arch to the file,
> but I'm not sure if it really should be done that way.

We could change the dialog to use uname -m output instead, but it's
really somewhat six of one, half dozen of the other probably

Jeremy