Anaconda, the /etc/rpm/platform file and instalation media arch.

Hi,

have you ever notice, that we write ia32e-redhat-linux when installing
from x86_64 media on Intel processor? Is that really the right behaviour?

I'm asking because of the "upgrade distro architecture" situation, when
somebody uses x86_64 media with "Welcome to Fedora for x86_64" and then
I present him with "You're about to upgrade from i686 to ia32e" kind of
dialog, he is surely going to be confused.

So the question is:
Where exactly comes the architecture from /etc/rpm/platform in the
game and why are we using the platform string from uname and not
from the /.buildinfo from the instalation tree?

I can of course use whatever feels more right for the dialog (so the
/.buildinfo one to be consistent) and write the 'uname' arch to the file,
but I'm not sure if it really should be done that way.

--
Martin Sivak
msivak@xxxxxxxxxx

Red Hat Czech s.r.o.
http://cz.redhat.com
Purkynova 99/71, 612 45 Brno, Czech Republic
Registered in Brno under #CZ27690016