Re: Community ks.cfg directory proposal

> Would a community kick start directory/repository be possible? The idea
> is that a body of kick start scripts would be developed by the
> community.  So, if a squid server is needed, say, the
> ksrepo/squidserver/ks.cfg file could be used to implement such a system.
>
> Advantages:
> 1.) A repository of system patterns could be developed and maintained.
> 2.) The scripts may be helpful in testing future fedora releases.

Yes, this would be great.  Not only does it provide a bunch of examples
for users to take and adapt, but it would be a great help in testing.
I'd like to have a battery of test cases to throw at ksvalidator when I
make changes to pykickstart.  That would help in finding regressions.
It'd also give me an idea of what sorts of things people are commonly
doing that could be added to our anaconda tests.

You guys come up with some strange things that I don't think up, so it'd
be nice to be testing real world examples instead of the contrived
things I create.

> 3.) Example, snippets of ks.cfg code would be available to new kick
> start users.
> 4.) Users could rebuild the CD set with additional files that require a
> separate download.
> a.) A place for %pre files would be on CD1.
> b.) A place for %post files would be on the last CD in the set.
>
> It would be great if these ks files were on the first CD for easy boot
> time access, if there is not too great of a size impact.
>
> It would be great if a person could override the defaults in a sample
> script with an "include" file placed in a special directory on, say, a
> USB key drive, local hard drive, etc.  The defaults to be overridden may
> include things like a 192 non-routing IP address, etc.  This would allow
> some scripts to be used as is without any script or CD rewriting.

There has been some talk of this in the past - of providing sample
workstation, server, whatever kickstart templates on the CDs that the
user can pick from.  However not much has come of it yet.  Jeremy
mentioned a couple of his concerns, and they're valid.  But I think we
should investigate this further.  More thought is needed.

I don't have any thoughts formed on this matter just yet, though.

- Chris