Re: Adding Georgian Support in Fedora/Anaconda

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 22:17 +0400, George Machitidze wrote:
> On 3/5/07, Jeremy Katz <katzj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 14:39 +0400, George Machitidze wrote:
> > > I want to add Georgian support in lang-table. My friend has created
> > > console font, but we dont know where to include it yet. We have about
> > > 15-20% of quality non-fuzzy translations that is enough for users and
> > > we want to continue with it.
> > >
> > > Please tell us how/where to add bitmap console font and how to get rw
> > > cvs access on anaconda module.
> >
> > For access for translations, see http://i18n.redhat.com
> >
> > As for console fonts, the best thing to do is to get them into the
> > upstream kbd.  More important than console fonts, though, are fonts for
> > X.  Packages for those can be submitted through the normal Fedora
> > package process
>
> We have access on translations and we are translating sources, but can
> you show us path for other things please?
>
> 1. Howto bitmap font in upstream kbd (i cannot find it in redhat cvs)?

It's just packaged -- per the README in the kbd package:
  The home site of this package is
          ftp://ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/linux-local/utils/kbd/
  Report problems with this package to Andries Brouwer <aeb@xxxxxx>.

You could file a bug for the Fedora version of kbd to include something,
but it's much better to also get it included upstream at the same time.

> 2. We have huge personal collection of X/ttf/otf/ps/bitmap fonts that
> me be useful, anyway we can create them asap (my friend is doing his
> best).

It's important to first ensure that they're not derived from any
non-free fonts.  Once that's done, set up a location where they can be
downloaded and you can start the process to add a new package (see
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Contributors).  Alternately, you
can work with a project such as dejavu to add coverage for your locale
to their existing font.

> 3. what about lang-table, as i understand i must have cvs access to
> this package, where to get it?

Once there is font support in the distribution and translation of
anaconda is at around 90%, file a bug report asking for the language to
be added to lang-table.  Provide the locale name, console font, console
keymap, timezone and any graphical fonts needed to support the locale.

> 4. also there is one bitmap font in fedora called "fixed" that looks
> VERY ugly, we must replace it ASAP, where is it included?

It's from upstream X if it's the font I think you're talking about.

Jeremy