Re: Non-deterministic ordering of raid partition creation...

On 12/12/06, James Olin Oden <james.oden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/12/06, Oden, James <James.Oden@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So I have a Kickstart file that is generating about 12 raid partitions
> across 2 drives.  What I'm finding is that it does not create them in
> the order I specify.  Is this a known problem?
>
> Other than that, I'm about to go in and try to figure out why this is
> happening, any ideas what code would be best to start looking at?

OK, I've figured out that filesystems are mapped to md devices that
have the correct size, but its only the order of the partitions that
is not as expected.  In other words everything works, but I get no
deterministic order for partitions.

I might be able to live with this, but again I ask is this desirable
behavior?  I can see after thinking through this a bit how in the case
where you were installling over an existing system and partitions were
not being cleared that there would have to be a bit more flexibility
as to the ordering of partitions, but I would have assumed that when
the partitions were cleared, you would end up with same order as was
specified in the kickstart file (implicitly via the order of the part
declerations in the kickstart file)?  Is this not a reasonable
assumption?

I suppose I could go directly to bugzilla, but I was trying to discuss
before doing so....james