Compile errors in unicode-lite.c (anaconda-11.0.5)

Hi list,
I'm trying to build an anaconda RPM for my distro based on FC5, and I'm getting errors when linking the loader.  Since it's linking static, I'm getting "multiple symbol definition" errors for setlocale, etc. that are defined in stubs/unicode- lite.c.  Is there a fix for this?  Or am I just doing something dumb?  I'm using gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.4, and binutils-2.16.91, all stock FC5 RPMs.

I can get it to build by commenting out the re-defined functions and structs in unicode-lite.c, thereby using the libc ones, and booting my install/anaconda CD works fine with the exception of one thing.  Once the loader runs and the text-mode media check and driver loading screens appear, they are really screwed up, with random characters appearing and the buttons impossible to see.  I'm guessing that this has something to do with unicode not being recognized, which probably has something to do with my hacked unicode-lite.c solution.

Has anyone seen this build problem before? Or know what's going on?  I can't imagine I'm the only one who's tried to build anaconda-11.0.5 with this particular toolchain.  Maybe I'm just missing something obvious...

Thanks for any help!

Joe