Updating the UI during %post

When imaging our servers we run a rather lengthly customization phase using the %post section. The entire installation is probably 30% stock, and 70% %post. It would be helpful if I could update the UI during the %post phase both to indicate progress and for debugging purposes. I have a few thoughts on how I could do this, and wanted feedback on them.

1.) Create a fifo, and have anaconda read from it, and %post write to it. Message will be forward to the UI, and displayed. While this is probably the easiest solution, it will not work for me because I chroot to /mnt/sysimage and then do customization. (I could skip the chroot, but that would be a bigger pain for the customization stuff. I also assume most other people chroot as well.)

2.) Start an XML-RPC server, and have it relay messages from %post to anaconda. This may be to heavy weight.

3.) Just like the fifo idea except create a TCP/UDP server, and forward all messages to the UI.

Questions, comments?

Thanks,
Christopher