Re: anaconda debugging and recovery

John Summerfield wrote:
Ed Brown wrote:
A 'debug mode' framework would not only improve the ability to quickly troubleshoot, it could also be used to provide a recovery capacity that is sorely lacking now.

But I'm sure there's a python debugger, and Anaconda does have test (I don't recall what that does tho) and autostep modes: this allows a measure of stepping through the install.

And, there are some undocumented switches; see the source for details.

Thank you for the suggestions. The undocumented switches are interesting, I'd like to find out more about them. The python debugger might be well-suited for python developers, but it's not really what I'm looking for, nor is autostep mode. Basically what I'm asking for is improved fault tolerance, a more flexible approach, so problems, and they are simply inevitable, aren't as often fatal, and don't consume so much of an installer's time.

If you'll permit an analogy - currently anaconda is something like a train: you spend a little time in the station, when it leaves, you either get where you're going, or you derail and walk back to the station to catch another train. What if all applications behaved like this, forcing you to reboot to be able to restart the application? For manual installs, why isn't it possible to go back to question/answers once an install has started? Who hasn't run into a problem, especially with %pre and %post scripts, that could have been fixed without starting completely over, if they'd had the opportunity to see what the error was, change something locally or remotely, and retry/resume? Who's had to start over and over to determine what a problem is or to test fixes?

If an opensuse install aborts, you get extensive menus and options: all kinds of system info available, manipulation of drivers and settings and boot options, and you can choose to go into a rescue mode, attempt to boot from the hard drive, or go right back to install/update: brilliant, helpful, friendly, fast...

My own kickstart scripts allow for one-time, runtime, changes to the kickstart file itself in %pre. In %post, they stop and provide a shell prompt when there are errors I don't want to ignore. Maybe that yum configuration file I'm trying to download isn't available for some reason, well ssh over and fix that, or retrieve it elsewhere, exit, and continue with the next thing... You can stop the train, if you will, AND get back on, to continue your journey. I can't begin to say how much time and frustration this has saved over the last couple of years.

Greater flexibility and error handling/recovery is entirely realistic, but it needs to be generalized and incorporated and done right for different install modes (text or graphical), available to any interpreter in %post/%pre scripts, and possibly even during the os-install part of anaconda. I wish I could offer python code instead of suggestions, and I'm sure there are a lot of other priorities for ananconda developers with work on RHEL5 in high gear, but maybe there are some things that could be implemented more easily than others, if there is any agreement about a need for improvements.

thanks,
Ed Brown, RHCE