Re: anaconda debugging and recovery (was Re: RFI: How to debug a particular problem with grub-install)

Ed Brown wrote:
Dag Wieers wrote:
 >>> How would I be able to see from anaconda what command is being run
 >>> and what output it got back. I am not looking for a solution to
 >>> this problem directly, I am looking for a way to make obvious what
 >>> is going on from (during or after) the installation. If something
 >>> was available to see exactly what happens, what decisions are
 >>> being made and what programs are run (even without the output) it
>>> would positively affect bug-reports and help from the community to >>> improve Anaconda.
 > I'm worried about anaconda development in the sense that many people
 > use it, but few people improve it. And anaconda is definitely
 > something that could be improved wrt. debug output.
 > I was not looking for interim solutions really, I know how I can fix
 > this or work around it from a kickstart file. (Using %pre etc...)

I've been making similar suggestions on the kickstart list. So much dialogue on both lists revolves around how to get information about what is going on, correctly or incorrectly. A 'debug mode' framework would not only improve the ability to quickly troubleshoot, it could also be used to provide a recovery capacity that is sorely lacking now.

You're getting me worried about the minimum machine requirements now....

I recently upgraded my Toshiba laptop (256 Mb Celeron 1.2 Ghz, newish 60 Gb drive) from Fedora Core 3 to Fedora Core 5.

It ran for a good twelve hours or so.

(and then, FC5 performed so badly I felt forced to bless it with an extra (512-128) Mbytes of RAM.

In C, one can conditionally-compile debugging code, and so release code without the overhead. AFAIK that's not possible with Python.

But I'm sure there's a python debugger, and Anaconda does have test (I don't recall what that does tho) and autostep modes: this allows a measure of stepping through the install.

And, there are some undocumented switches; see the source for details.
[summer@bilby ~]$ grep -n4 rootpath= $(rpm -ql anaconda | grep -Ev 'py[co]$')
/usr/sbin/anaconda-397-
/usr/sbin/anaconda-398-try:
/usr/sbin/anaconda-399- (args, extra) = isys.getopt(theargs, 'CGTRxtdr:fm:', /usr/sbin/anaconda-400- [ 'graphical', 'text', 'test', 'debug', 'nofallback', /usr/sbin/anaconda:401: 'method=', 'rootpath=', 'pcic=', "overhead=", /usr/sbin/anaconda-402- 'testpath=', 'mountfs', 'traceonly', 'kickstart=', /usr/sbin/anaconda-403- 'lang=', 'keymap=', 'kbdtype=', 'module=', 'class=', /usr/sbin/anaconda-404- 'expert', 'serial', 'lowres', 'nofb', 'rescue', 'nomount', /usr/sbin/anaconda-405- 'autostep', 'resolution=', 'skipddc', 'noselinux', 'selinux',
[summer@bilby ~]$

--

Cheers
John