Re: RFI: How to debug a particular problem with grub-install

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, John Summerfield wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
>
> Please, don't reply off-list or CC me; apart from everything else, it buggers
> up the sorting (I sort on list-id).

Sorry, didn't notice that was the default policy.

> > >You could also try changes to your BIOS configuration to see whether you
> > >can influence what happens at install time.
> >
> > No, we already did that. I checked and the problem is the SAN disk. I
> > thought we disabled the controller, but in fact we disabled it from the BIOS
> > point of view, Linux does see it and does see the disk.
>
> I was thinking more of boot order: I'm guessing that needs to match the device
> map.

The boot-order of the BIOS has no effect on what Grub does. I don't know
if it is possible to let Grub use the BIOS boot-order. I guess that would
be everyone's expected behaviour when doing

	bootloader --location=mbr

The obvious solution for this problem is

	bootloader --driverorder=cciss/c0d0
or
	bootloader --location=cciss/c0d0

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm confident that would work. Still if there
is a way for grub to use the BIOS bootloader that would fix it.

Thanks for the feedback, John. I appreciate it.

--   dag wieers,  dag@xxxxxxxxxx,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --