Re: RFI: How to debug a particular problem with grub-install

Dag Wieers wrote:

Please, don't reply off-list or CC me; apart from everything else, it buggers up the sorting (I sort on list-id).

I'm thinking you may be expecting too much for it to work all the time:-)

Hehe. Well, I know I would be more inclined to look deeper if I have some more information available. And I'm certain others would as well. I prefer to extend it beyond this particular case. And there's no hurting 'normal' users by making this information available on a different channel (tty or logfile) for those who need it.

I'm worried about anaconda development in the sense that many people use it, but few people improve it. And anaconda is definitely something that could be improved wrt. debug output.

But I can fully understand that from a developer point-of-view you don't see that as important as you have the tendency to dig into the code (or just into your local brain cache) to know how something worked.

The commands run are on one of the ttys; turn off "reboot" and do some
inspection. The grub stuff is written to one of the ttys, bout tt4 or 5 I
think, and you can always use tty2 to poke around and see what's happened.

I think a patch to allow the installer (person) to view grub's device map and
change if required would be a good start, and probably a good interim
solution.

I was not looking for interim solutions really, I know how I can fix this or work around it from a kickstart file. (Using %pre etc...)

But yes, printing the device.map would be a good idea in the general case specifically for grub.

You could also try changes to your BIOS configuration to see whether you can
influence what happens at install time.

No, we already did that. I checked and the problem is the SAN disk. I thought we disabled the controller, but in fact we disabled it from the BIOS point of view, Linux does see it and does see the disk.

I was thinking more of boot order: I'm guessing that needs to match the device map.

Kind regards,
--   dag wieers,  dag@xxxxxxxxxx,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --

I can give you the kind word: Thanks.

--