Re: kexec instead of rebooting at the end of the install?

Matthew Miller wrote:
So, tell me -- is this a crazy idea?

Actually, I've implemented this in FC4 back in February. It was fairly trivial.

I just rebuilt the kernel w/ kexec, added kexec-tools to ISO-1 so a minimal install--which now included kexec-tools--didn't require two disks, and rebuilt the ISO set.

I then used a little perl scripty-foo to glom the kernel, initrd, and command line from grub.conf, then built and executed the kexec setup command in the post section of the kickstart file. After that in post, I remounted all file systems RO and executed the kexec boot.

Very slick! The only down side is that you may not see a horked grub.conf until the next reboot after the install.

--
David N. Lombard
Rossmoor, Orange County, CA