ks not recognizing network device, but interface install recognizes network device

I have a question re: Anaconda that I was hoping that someone might be able to help me with. I apologize if this is the wrong list for this discussion.

I'm trying to kickstart a new RedHat Enterprise 4 system that has 2 x Intel e1000 gigabit on the motherboard (Intel S5000V). I'm having a big problem that has been causing me much grief all day today. Unfortunately, the PCI ID for our e1000 (0x1096) isn't built in to the standard e1000 module that comes with RedHat Enterprise 4, so kickstart doesn't recognize the network, and prompts me for a driver disk/manual install. For numerous reasons, I'd rather not prepare a driver disk. I would prefer that our installs remain hands off. It's much easier for me to recompile a later version of the Linux kernel which includes all the drivers built-in to the kernel (instead of as modules), and then rebuild the install disk using that kernel so that I have a totally hands off install. Anyway, after compiling a later Linux kernel (2.6.17.7) and rebuilding the custom install CD, now when I boot with "ks", I can see that my e1000 is now recognized fine by the kernel. However, my kickstart doesn't start, and instead I get taken to the "language selection" screen, after which it gives me the menu that lets me choose "Install from CD", "Hard Disk", "NFS", etc. If I choose any of the network operations like "NFS"/"FTP", it will say that I don't have the required network device. On the other hand, if I say to install from "Local CD", the installer installs just fine and recognizes that both eth0 and eth1 are there. As far as I know, that part is running Anaconda as well .. so my question is this -- how in the world can Anaconda recognize the network for a manual install, but not recognize it for kickstart ???? (I did try the manual install method, and went to the shell prompt during install where I was able to ifconfig the interface, and use it, so I know the driver is working...)

I would be very greatful for any help that anyone can provide...

Jason.