Re: Media weirdness

Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Are there any known issues with Kickstart on FC5?
>
> I have a DVD-RW that I burned that passes media
> checking both on the source and target machines (I use
> the checkisomd5 command on the raw device, and
> then "linux mediacheck" again on the target machine).

You did perform the sha1sum check before burning the ISO(s) right?
sha1sum -c sha1sum.htm
FC-5-i386-rescuecd.iso: OK
The sha1sum check is an important step before even trying the media
check, if you didn't know.

> Yet when I try to install from it, I sometimes get a
> message about "The package mgetty-... cannot be opened. This is
> due to a missing file or perhaps a corrupt package. yada yada"
>
> Oddly, if I reboot and try again, it may fail on the same package,
> or it may fail on another.
>
> Sometimes reburning the DVD fixes the issue.  Some times it
> doesn't.

<snip>

> Does any of this sound familiar?

One option to consider is your drive speed and DVD media.  I gave a
co-worker a set of FC CDs burned at 52x on my machine.  They failed on
his machine.  Why?  I didn't know that he had a 12x reader.  This could
be an issue since you have two platforms involved.  LOL Old Ralphie
still threatens to kick my butt over than one.  Something about lost and
wasted time. >:-> Can you re-burn at 1x or whatever the target likes at
a _conservative_ speed?

Please also remember the early DVD format wars.  The problem was
resolved when multi-format DVD reader/writers were cost effective.  If
your target platform's reader cannot completely support the DVD media
type that you are using, then that could be the source of your problems
too.  The target platform could have the "hand me down" burner/reader.

Don't forget that the media could be bad, if you have already considered
the above suggestions.  Do you have another DVD-R/W disc that you can
try, if so?

It would be great to hear your solution, once you resolve the problem.

Regards,
Greg