Locating %post scripts, files...

On other quick question that I didn't find documented...  Obvious the more
stuff you put into isolinux.img the less RAM you have left over for other
stuff, so this is best left with the fewest additional files...

That said, is it "normal" and "proper" (etc) for a %post script to make
references to stuff in /mnt/source/? For instance, let's say I have a mini-tar overlay of files I want to explode into the new root that's being built (since
everything is prefixed in the tarchive by ./inst-helper/ anyway)... is:

%post --nochroot

(cd /mnt/sysimage ; gunzip -c | tar xf -) < /mnt/source/overlay-root.tgz

%post

chvt 3

# for debugging...
set -x

/inst-helper/mkprt --all

is that a good practice?  Or is there a better way to do this?  And does the
output of all of the %pre (well, that might be tricky) and %post scripts get
captured/logged somewhere?  Both on a vty and later into a saved log file?

Thanks,

-Philip