anaconda: warning building loader: static linking and getpwnam

I built anaconda by hand, using the CVS sources, in an attempt to track
down my installation CD's /sbin/loader crash.  In doing the build, I got
a warning about using "getpwuid" in statically linked applications:

==== begin quoted build output
cc -g -static -o loader loader.o log.o moduleinfo.o loadermisc.o
modules.o moduledeps.o windows.o lang.o kbd.o modstubs.o driverdisk.o
selinux.o md5.o mediacheck.o kickstart.o driverselect.o getparts.o
dirbrowser.o pcmcia.o usb.o firewire.o hardware.o method.o cdinstall.o
hdinstall.o nfsinstall.o urlinstall.o net.o urls.o ftp.o telnet.o
telnetd.o -lpopt     \
-lkudzu_loader   -lpci ../isys/libisys.a -lz ../stubs/libunicode-lite.a
\
-lpump -lresolv -lnewt -lslang -ldevmapper -lselinux -lsepol
ftp.o: In function `ftpOpen':
/home/saugart/boot-CD/Anaconda-CVS/anaconda/loader2/ftp.c:244: warning:
Using 'getpwuid' in statically linked applications requires at runtime
the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
==== end quoted build output

Is this a known problem with Anaconda?  Is it benign, or might it be one
of the reasons why /sbin/loader is crashing in the middle of my
installation?  (Since I'm not using the FTP functionality, so getpwuid()
is never called, it does seem unlikely, but I might as well check.)

I'm using an up-to-date FC5, with glibc-2.4-4, gcc-4.1.0-3,
binutils-2.16.91.0.6-5, and kernel-2.6.16-1.2096_FC5.

It seems to me that, in general, it is good if we can have our code
build without linker warnings, and if there is a good reason why the
warning is benign but necessary, then I think we might want to put it in
a README file in the root directory of the source tree.  I'm glad to
write up such a README and contribute it to the project.

Thanks,

Steven Augart
Mazu Networks
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA