Re: How to debug crashes in /sbin/loader?

Loader doesn't do very much parsing of the kickstart.  Mostly the parsing
is done in the python anaconda part.

> A colleague and I have been building an install CD based on FC5.

You may want to take a look at my my FC5 respin scripts.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2006-April/msg00039.html

> I'm glad to help improve Anaconda and /sbin/loader by debugging the
> problem.  However, I would very much appreciate advice from anyone who
> has actually debugged /sbin/loader.  This error is happening early in
> the boot process, after the kernel is up but before any shells have been
> launched in other windows.

http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/stable/howto-install-fc4.html
It's sometimes useful to have a bash environment right away.  That page
has instructions on how to compile bash statically, then on step 5 it has
instructions for setting up busybox.

You need some code at the first part of loader.c to open a new shell.  I
don't have the exact code but it's something like this, give or take a
close() or a dup().

if (!fork()){
	close(0);
	close(1);
	fd = open("/dev/tty9", O_RDWR);
	dup(fd);
	dup(fd);
	execl("/bin/bash", "/bin/bash", NULL);
}

It's useful to have bash because then you can load modules by hand or
whatever and look at what is actually going on.

regards,
dan carpenter