How to debug crashes in /sbin/loader?

Dear Anaconda Developers,

A colleague and I have been building an install CD based on FC5.

Unfortunately, when we boot into the install CD, which is a trivial
tweak on the same set of RPM packages and kickstart file that works on
FC4, we get a crash in /sbin/loader, during the first stage of the
installation process, after the kernel itself has started up.

I'm glad to help improve Anaconda and /sbin/loader by debugging the
problem.  However, I would very much appreciate advice from anyone who
has actually debugged /sbin/loader.  This error is happening early in
the boot process, after the kernel is up but before any shells have been
launched in other windows.

Oddly enough, my colleague has been successfully distributing a very
similar installation CD that's based on FC 4.  But we'd prefer to base
the installation on FC 5.  (We're upgrading the whole system from RH 9.)
We're glad to put time into debugging the problem -- all we need is some
advice about a good approach for making /sbin/loader run under GDB, or
whatever other debugging approach someone with experience doing this
could recommend.

Our best guess so far is that there's been a minor Kickstart syntax
change between FC 4 and FC 5, and perhaps our Kickstart files have a
minor syntax error that's triggering the crash, but we haven't found any
evidence to support that.

We're glad to contribute back to Anaconda as a token of our appreciation
for the great tool which you and others have collaborated to give us.

Sincerely Yours,

Steven Augart
Mazu Networks, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA