Re: Mounting half of a swraid mirror

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 16:54 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Jeremy Katz <katzj@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> > On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 16:05 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> > > If that's the case, are hard drive installs going to be removed?  I'm
> > > not going to create a VFAT partition just for that.  They are already
> > > pretty limited since there's no support for LVM or software RAID (0 or
> > > 5).  If you can't mount an ext3 as ext2 then hard drive installs are
> > > going to be nearly useless (since anaconda tries only ext2 and vfat).
> >
> > Actually, now that we include all of the modules in the initrd, we
> > should try mounting as ext3 for hard drive installs also.  I just
> > committed that to CVS since I hadn't previously thought of it :)
>
> Did you do it with the "noload" option?  That way the kernel won't try
> to load the journal (which I think could break my attempts to install
> from half of a software RAID mirror for example).

No (and from my hazy memory, you'll run into problems trying to do that
anyway...)

> Alternately, is there a chance for support for software RAID and/or LVM
> as an install source?

It's something I've thought about a little, but it's a bit more
difficult to pull of software RAID and LVM given their reliance on not
small amounts of userspace code :/  Although we have the utilities and
the code to deal with working with them in the second stage, the code
around it is all in python.  In that respect, we might be better off
trying to get to where most/all of the actual code is in the
initramfs... but size wise, that gets difficult.

Jeremy