Re: steps to create updates.img

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 08:41:09PM -0500, Alexey Zilber wrote:
> I haven't done it in years, but if memory serves me right the
> updates.img is a cpio format, compressed file-system.  I don't
> remember what filesystem though, but I don't think it's either dos or
> ext-2.  Hope this was enough of a hint.

updates.img needs to be a mountable filesystem image.  ext2, vfat, or
cramfs should work.

The problem here is that you can't add drivers via updates.img.
updates.img is for anaconda code updates.  You need to create a driver
disk image in order to add additional modules without having to unroll
the initrd.  Once you have created a driver disk (look at
http://people.redhat.com/linville/ddiskit/
http://www.cpqlinux.com/rhdiskmod.html for help here), you need to
load it from a floppy (boot into the installer with "linux dd"),
include it in the initrd image at /dd.img, or place it on a http, ftp,
or nfs server and boot anaconda with "linux dd=http://path/to/dd.img";

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Matt