Re: Apples and snakes

Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 16:20 -0400, Matt Wilson wrote:

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 04:19:08PM +0800, John Summerfied wrote:

Another way is by use of zeroconf: mDNSclient code in Anaconda could seek out information about the environment.

I don't like the idea of having to add more client code in the loader.

I don't especially like it either, but eventually, mDNS (or something
like it) is probably going to be wanted for things like finding local
install servers.  That's down the road a bit, though.

I've just acquired a new laptop which is in need of a conversion. Fedora doesn't look a likely candidate (it has Atheros wireless, and I think RH doesn't ship its HAL), so I'm reading SuSE docs.

SuSE uses slp for discovery right now. If you specify a VNC install, the target announces itself by SLP and one can browse for or (eg in Konqueror). If the server announces itself, the client will find it.

I suggest a some Red Hatters install it just to filch some ideas.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait