Re: iSCSI install: support install-from and/or install-to

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 14:55 -0700, Patrick Mansfield wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 05:22:34PM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > While it might be useful eventually, I don't think it's something to
> > really be concerned with for now.  There are plenty of perfectly
> > reasonable ways to get access to installation trees now and I'm not sure
> > that I really want to add support for more given the impact on testing
> > that it causes :)
>
> It is not a new installation method, it is similar to adding a new HBA
> driver / module. I hope you don't have to test installation via all the
> existing SCSI HBA drivers in the initrd, you would go insane. :)

The fact that iSCSI uses the SCSI layer is purely an implementation
detail, IMHO... the fact that it requires a lot of configuration about
the target makes it much more like a network install type and FTP vs
HTTP vs NFS are different installation methods

> I personally prefer a network install over CD.
>
> But if all you have is iSCSI (no nfs/ftp/http server) how are you going to
> install? That is not an unreasonable setup, especially if you have an
> iSCSI attached CDROM.

I don't think that people in the real world have no nfs/ftp/http
server.  :)

Jeremy