Re: Upgrade from RHL 7.3 to ....

seth vidal wrote:
you really don't want to do this.

You really want to reinstall your system.

_really_

I'm sure you know what you're talking about; I'd be much happier with your reply if I did.

What problems might I encounter?

1. some packages might not get upgraded.

I know that; wu-imapd is one such.

2. you'll end up with lots of crufty .rpmnew and .rpmsave files lying
around
I can deal with those; they're good markers for what needs attention

3. you'll find out what is actually needed on the machine.

Well, what's needed is what The Boss (owner) says is needed. I'd rather not get a phone call ftom .ca or .th saying, "What happened to ..," and it's when he's in .ca or .th that he tends to notice these things.

My own contribution is software RAID. I've no idea how Anaconda will deal with that, but a backup and restore is possible,

FWIW I'm not at all sure a reinstall will be especially simple.

if you have the option I'd recommend finding a second machine and
install the system to that, then migrate the services to that machine.

That's what I told The Boss.

In general, an upgrade and then the massive reconfiguration of the
system to make things work is MORE work than reinstalling and
configuring the items to match up. And you get the benefit of starting
fresh on the machine.

Either way we face the choice between migrating data (eg imap folders) or using dropped software (eg wu-imapd).

I'm unenthusiastic about both choices.

I think the naswer is procrastinate:-)

--

Cheers