Re: Upgrade from RHL 7.3 to ....

> > you really don't want to do this.
> >
> > You really want to reinstall your system.
> >
> > _really_
>
> I'm sure you know what you're talking about; I'd be much happier with
> your reply if I did.
>
> What problems might I encounter?

1. some packages might not get upgraded.
2. you'll end up with lots of crufty .rpmnew and .rpmsave files lying
around
3. you'll find out what is actually needed on the machine.

> FWIW I'm not at all sure a reinstall will be especially simple.

if you have the option I'd recommend finding a second machine and
install the system to that, then migrate the services to that machine.

In general, an upgrade and then the massive reconfiguration of the
system to make things work is MORE work than reinstalling and
configuring the items to match up. And you get the benefit of starting
fresh on the machine.

> ps Please, reply only to the list. I really do not like duplicate replies.

sorry, just did reply all - used to list reply-to's

-sv